The XV japanese extension
What is the XV japanese extension?
The XV japanese extension patch enhances the power of the XV-3.10a.
The name of the package is `JAPANESE EXTENSION', but the powers
extended are useful for users out of Japan.
Using this package, XV-3.10 gets to be able to handle more image
formats, to be able to handle archived files as directory and so
Executing image of latest
distribution is here[gif, 40691bytes].
- To enable to display images in MAKI, MAG, PIC, Pi, and PIC2
- To enable to save images in MAKI, MAG, PIC, Pi, and PIC2 formats.
- To enable to display images in Kodak PhotoCD format.
- To enable to display images in MacBinary format (which includes
data information on the first 128 bytes of file.)
- To enable to automatically expand files archived arc, arj, lzh,
tar, tar+compress (or gzip and pack), zip, and zoo formats.
- To enable to display the text file including Japanese with
- To enable to display icons which generated by Virtual Shunauzer in
correct aspect ratio of original image.
- To enable to maintaining icons which used by Virtual Shunauzer by
using the effect of Virtual directory until quitting XV, even if we
cannot create a directory for maintenance of them.
- To enable to convert unsupported typed images to an available
typed image with a filter command, and display/save it.
The XV japanese extension make XV-3.10a to be able to load/save some
additional image formats.
The additional formats are follows:
- MAKI(4bit indexed color, 640x400pixel fixed)
- MAG(8bit indexed color)
- PIC(15[5/5/5] bit color)
- Pi(8bit indexed color)
- PIC2(24bit color)
- PhotoCD(24bit color)
Automatic archive expansion
Using this feature, you can see image files in the archeved file
The archived file are expanded in a temporary area, and XV recognizes
it as "virtual directory". Contents in
directory can't be changed at all.
The following archive formats are supported:
Patched TextViewer automatically recognizes character code-set and
display Multilingual text.
Here is Multilingual
TextViwer image[gif, 16932bytes].
User definable filters(Plug-ins support for image formats)
With this feature, XV can convert unsupported typed images to an
available typed image with a filter command, and display it.
Conversely, it can save images in an unsupported type.
Applying the package, XV-3.10a can display Macbinaried images as is,
can reflect right aspect ratio to icons in VisualSchnauzer and keep
icons on VisualSchnauzer even if the directory is write protected.
The latest release version of the XV japanese extension is revision
5.3.3. And the corresponding version of XV is 3.10a. If you want to
get these archive, see Get the XV japanese
The ChangeLog of XV japanese extension is
here(written Japanese language only).
- Not supported extensions using comment region of PIC image.
- The 8bit PIC2 format is not supported.
- When XV saves an image with a user defined filter, system
sometimes aborts it if the command is not proper. Also, a few
OS's can be confused by trapping the signal SIGCHLD. (Solaris 2.1
is known to be confused.)
- On VMS, execution confirmation is not done. Reports and codes on
VMS are welcome.
Get the XV japanese extension
Get the latest release version of
XV japanese extension,
and the corresponding version of
Members of the XV japanese extension team
- HARANO Yuuki <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- HIRAMOTO Kouji <hiramoto@Angel.nanako.or.jp>
- IKEMOTO Masahiro <email@example.com>
- INOUE Tetsuya <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- KUMAGAI Masaaki <email@example.com>
- MIYOKAWA Nobuyoshi <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- SHUDOH Kazuyuki <email@example.com>
- YOKOYAMA Noboru <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Copyrights of each patch and file are held by each writer.
Distribution of this patch is free, if and only if you include all
files in this archive.
Usage of this patch is treated as the same as original XV. (For
business use etc,) if you are allowed to use original XV by permission
of Mr. Bradley, you are also allowed to use this patch.
The XV-3.10a is shareware. Read the License Information in
the README of XV-3.10a.
XV japanese extension Bug report:
Last modified: Wed Oct 23 21:06:23 JST 1996